||There are so many acronyms associated with this industry. What do they signify?
There are so many acronyms associated with this industry. What do they signify?
- TESL/ESL -
- Teaching English as a second language/English as a second language.
- English is the second language of the people you are teaching. English is spoken in the country where you are teaching (i.e., you are teaching in English in Britain).
- TEFL -
- Teaching English as a foreign language.
- English is taught as a foreign language to people who live in a country where English is not spoken (i.e., teaching English in Brazil).
- TESOL -
- Teaching English to speakers of other languages.
- This is a North American term that covers both EFL and ESL instruction. It is also the name of a teachers` association.
- ESP -
- English for specific purposes.
- This term refers to the focused learning of topics ranging from business English to TOEFL. Oxford Seminars offers specialization modules on these topics.
- TOEFL -
- Test of English as a foreign language.
- This is an academic based standardized test given to English language learners. A high score on this test is required for entry into most American colleges and universities to ensure that a foreign student is competent and fluent in English.
- TOEIC -
- Test of English for international communication. This is a standardized test required in many international work places. It focuses on vocabulary and communication skills.
To receive more information about Oxford Seminars' TESOL/TESL/TEFL Certification Course, request an information package. To learn more about Oxford Seminars, visit About Us. If you have any questions, call a Course Advisor at 1-800-779-1779.